5012 North Lawndale Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60625
email: pdw [at] weinstein [dot] org
A lead engineer position designed to utilize my years of proven experience in developing, deploying and administrating business critical technological solutions.
- Results-oriented technology manager with ability to identify and implement critical solutions
- A twelve year background in software engineering, primarily web application development
- Nine years of software engineering experience with Open Source tools
- Eight years of system administration of heterogeneous computing platforms
Unix: Red Hat (Enterprise and Fedora) and SUSE Linux, FreeBSD; Mac OS X; Windows: XP, 2003 Server
August 2009 – Present
Orbit Media Studios, Inc.
Web Programmer Analyst
Working directly with Orbit's Web Developers and Application Architects to improve software development and server infrastructure efficiency by introducing and managing formal programming approaches to Web Development with Orbit's proprietary Content Management System using PHP, MySQL and Apache.
Nov 2008 - Jan 2009
Presidential Inaugural Committee 2009
IT Help Desk Manager
Manager of the organization's internal Help Desk Team, responsible for delivering accurate and timely technological support and problem resolution for over 400 staff members. Responsibilities include coordinating with outside vendors, internal System Engineers and Operation personnel to ensure the availability of business critical equipment and services.
- Develop and implement policies on the proper usage of organizational equipment and Help Desk procedures in order to provide helpful assistance in a timely manner
- Assist in identifying and implementing hardware and software requirements for various Committee departments
- Manage a team of three full-time staffers and five full-time volunteers
Jul 2008 - Nov 2008
Minnesota Campaign for Change
Director of Information Technology
Worked with state campaign leaders, primarily the Operations, New Media and Data Directors, to identify and develop technological solutions to assist the campaign staff in organizing support for Senator Obama's presidential campaign in a "key battleground state."
- Managed IT operations for 37 state satellite offices as well as the state headquarters Established network infrastructure for satellite offices in Minnesota to support Web and VoIP traffic
- Recruited, organized and managed a team of technologically knowledgeable volunteers to provide first-tier desktop and network support
- Developed IT disaster recovery plans for Election Day
- Organized and managed the technology needs of the Voter Hotline, Legal "Boiler Room" and State "War Room" on Election Day
Jun 2006 - Jul 2008
DW Data, Inc.
Software Engineer, Web Application Developer
Assisted in maintaining and enhancing the company’s main product Zoomshare, a web-based service that hosts over 900,000 websites for individuals and small-businesses. The Zoomshare service is built on an Open Source stack of tools integrated by custom Perl modules running in Apache’s mod_perl environment. The web application is distributed across a collection of FreeBSD servers and includes Qmail for email services and Postgres for storage of metadata related to customers’ online activity.
- Took charge of maintaining code base of key Zoomshare services such as Photo Album.
- Key developer of new enhancements, such as AJAX-based Zoomshare Widgets framework to improve customer experience and keep Zoomshare services in-line with customer expectations.
Jan 2002 - Present
Self-Employed and Kepler Solutions, Inc.
Computer Consultant and President
Assisted clients in system administration and deployment of network services on FreeBSD and Red Hat Linux. Supported desktop users on Mac OS, OS X and Windows 2000 systems. In August of 2003 incorporated Kepler Solutions, a computer consulting company, to solidify computer consulting business and continue developing Open Source based solutions for small to medium sized organizations. Key clients include: a private web hosting company, Laughing Squid; independent film studio, Studio B; Chicago Title Insurance Company and private law firm Janssen Doyle, LLP.
- Developed a web front-end for a prototype Instant Message proxy service using standard Perl modules CGI::Application, HTML::Template and Alzabo::PostgreSQL along with Apache, Red Hat Linux and PostgreSQL.
- Co-author of Professional Apache Security and Beginning Unix published by Wrox.
- Presented security-based sessions at O'Reilly Open Source Conference, ApacheCon, Open Source Health Care Alliance Meeting and LInuxWorld in 2002, 2003 and 2004.
Jun 1998 - Jan 2002
C2Net Software and Red Hat
Database Engineer and Internet Systems Virtuoso
Recruited to provide database-engineering expertise for design, development and management of an in-house e-mail and web-based Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system. Trained staff in the proper utilization of the CRM database system. Accountable for overseeing all activities associated with migration of C2Net Software's customer data and web content to Red Hat's existing systems. Handled content and service management for several Red Hat web properties. Served as contributor to the Stronghold Web Server product team.
- Successfully designed and implemented sales and support database to manage customer relationships.
- Administered C2Net web site and back-end systems.
- Directed operations of an internal, private certificate authority using OpenSSL allowing for only authorized access to online company records.
Jan 1998 - Jun 1998
Charged with responsibility of rapidly developing an in-house database system using Informix. Performed network administration tasks for NT network.
- Successfully completed migration of network services from SCO UNIX to Windows NT.
Aug 1997 - Jun 1998
Elm Elementary School
Provided Macintosh network installation and maintenance services using AppleShare File Server. Managed the Macintosh computer lab.
- Troubleshot computer problems and effectively trained teachers and staff on network applications for e-mail and web.
Aug 1994 - Mar 1997
Books and Bytes Computer Bookstore
Internet Services Group Leader / Customer Support Representative
Handled customer assistance, web site creation/management and content contribution tasks.
- Credited with successful development and maintenance of online purchasing system.
- Researched books and provided book reviews for online and print newsletter.
- Effectively interfaced with customers and provided program demonstrations.
Publications and Presentations
Weinstein, Paul. "Apache 2.2 and mod_proxy_balancer." ApacheCon EU 2006. The Burlington, Dublin. 28 Jun. 2006.
Love, Paul, et al. Beginning Unix. Indianapolis: Wrox, 2005.
Weinstein, Paul. "Getting Up and Running with Apache 2.0 on Linux." LinuxWorld Conference & Expo. The Javits Center, New York City. 20 Jan. 2004.
Weinstein, Paul, "Is Linux Annoying?" LinuxDevCenter.com August 2003.
Weinstein, Paul. "Getting Up and Running with Apache 2.0 on Linux." LinuxWorld Conference & Expo. Moscone Convention Center, San Francisco. 04 Aug. 2003.
Mobily, Tony, et al. Professional Apache Security. Birmingham: Wrox Press, 2003.
Weinstein, Paul. "Securing Web Access with a Private Certificate Authority." ApacheCon US 2002. Alexis Park Resort, Las Vegas. 20 Nov. 2002.
Weinstein, Paul. "Computer Security Fundamentals." Third Annual Open Source Health Care Alliance Meeting. UCLA Jules Stein Auditorium, Los Angeles. 15 Nov. 2002.
Weinstein, Paul. "Apache and SSL." O'Reilly Open Source Convention. Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina, San Diego. 24 Jul. 2002.
Weinstein, Paul, "Apache and SSL." ONLamp.com April 2002.
Weinstein, Paul. "Web Security for Business: Verifying and Storing Customer Data In a Secure Manner." LinuxWorld Conference & Expo. Moscone Convention Center, San Francisco. 29 Aug. 2001.
Weinstein, Paul. "Web Security for Business: Creating and Implementing a Private Certificate Authority with OpenSSL and mod_ssl." O'Reilly Open Source Convention. Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina, San Diego. 27 Jul. 2001.
Weinstein, Paul, "Web Security: Apache and mod_ssl Part II." Daemon News June 2001.
Weinstein, Paul, "Web Security: Encryption & Authentication." Daemon News May 2001.
Master of Business Administration in General Management
Elmhurst College, 2008
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
Elmhurst College, 1998
Furnished Upon Request